Exchange Geek's Weblog

I'm a Geek!

Archive for April, 2010

The client operation failed. Error is [0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501]

Posted by Milind Naphade on 22/04/2010

Our server engineering team was investigating an issue on a bounce back a user got and the whole team spent a lot of time researching on below message.

From: System Administrator
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:53 PM
Cc: Recipient Name
Subject: Undeliverable: Trainings

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: Trainings

Sent: 4/20/2010 4:45 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Recipient on 4/20/2010 4:53 PM

This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. The client operation failed. Error is [0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501].

At the first glance it seems like a problem with permissions on recipient mailbox. However,the error "0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501" comes from trying to submit a message on the Exchange transport. The code 0x0004b9 is an ecNullObject from Store, indicating that the failure occurred because an object referenced was null. This implies that this user was having some intermittent networking issue that happened to hit at the time the message was submitted.

This behavior is by design and the error is expected when network failures occur. If your computer is connected via wireless or a WAN link, then random failures on the network can be common, and that would explain the behavior. Even on a local area network, RPC failures are not uncommon.

In general, this problem is likely caused by intermittent network connectivity issues, or possibly out-of-resource problem on the client machine.

I suggest getting back to the user and requesting them to re-submit the message if similar kind of problem occurs in future as well.

Posted in Exchange 2003, Exchange 2007, Transport | Comments Off on The client operation failed. Error is [0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501]

User could not be reached and this message was not delivered – Microsoft Office Communicator

Posted by Milind Naphade on 21/04/2010

One of my team members had a strange problem since last year. He could sign in to the Microsoft Office Communicator but could not receive messages from anybody else. On the other hand he could send messages to his contacts absolutely fine. Our TAM and his OCS team tried doing a lot of research on his production account with no avail and the problem was never resolved.

I was playing around his user account today and decided to fix it for him. While going through the LDP dump of his user account and my own user account I found something really interesting. He had an additional IP phone value added on his user account using ADUC. So, the LDP dump showed something like below:

ipPhone: 3165;

otherIpPhone: +123476;

Our OCS settings does not have any configuration in enterprise voice settings that matches the otherIpPhone value. They were testing something on his account and didn’t remove this value from this user account. So, to remove this value we simply used ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers).

1. Open user properties in ADUC and go to Telephones tab. Locate IP Phone and click Other button.

image

2. Remove the values that are incompatible with your OCS Voice configurations.

image 

3. Ask the user to log off and log back in. Bingo! That should let him receive IMs from other users now.

Posted in OCS, OCS 2007 | Tagged: , | 3 Comments »